Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Observations of an American Dropped Into Japan (Part 14)


We were right on time for the ferry, which was really nice because after the long walk in the high heat and humidity I was about done. We leisurely  rode the ferry down the Sumida River until we arrived at our destination. As we got off the boat, there were several more cruising downriver, some of them pretty unique looking. One of them parked at the next dock. I referred to it as a "party boat" because it just seemed like a more "fun" boat. Less traditional. Then coming off of that boat but what did I see? Oh my goodness! More of the scantily clad "feather" girls from the parade earlier! Perhaps it was the "party boat".
Adam, Megan and I discussed the best way to get to the Tokyo Tower, to see the sites. It was going to be another bunch of city blocks, and the way I felt, I was pretty sure that it wouldn't be a positive experience walking. We started to evaluate taking a cab. Done deal as far as I was concerned. A cab it was. The driver was very accommodating. He realized that we were tourists, so as soon as the Tokyo Tower was in site, he stopped his cab in the center of the street and motioned for me to snap a picture of the Tower. He was an awesome Cab driver and very affordable. Well worth the trip.
The driver let us off beside the Tower, Adam paid for our admission and we proceeded to wait in a long line for entry. The Tokyo Tower was inspired by the Eiffel Tower and does resemble it somewhat, although I felt that it bore a slight resemblance to Seattle's Space Needle as well, minus the flying -saucer shaped top of course. The Tower was incredibly crowded inside, everyone trying to get a peek out the windows at urban Tokyo and beyond. There are two observation floors. One way up, and the other really way up. Wandering around, I finally got my only glimpse of Mt. Fuji, as the horizon had always been overcast the entire rest of the trip. It was nearing sunset, so Fuji was a beautiful site, and the skyscrapers in Tokyo were turning on their lights. I also noticed an odd section of Plexiglas on the floor, allowing you to stand on it and look down to the ground. Kind of a strange feeling.
Megan suggested taking a picture of Adam, Abigail and myself in front of one of the windows, which was a splendid idea. After she took the picture, a young Australian couple approached Megan and asked if we would like a picture of the four of us together, We happily accepted their offer, and the pictures of us at the Tokyo Tower are among my favorite. We discovered that this nice young couple were newlyweds and that this was their honeymoon! Adam took several pictures for them and we wished them a wonderful time.
The Tokyo Tower has many different activities to do on many of their levels. They had a wax museum, an aquarium, gift shops and such, but I was so exhausted at that point that I was more than ready to head back. Yes, a taxi to the train station would be wonderful, again, well worth the money.
Waiting for our train, Abigail and I sat on a bench watching the various trains come and go. Before one train left, a waving motion caught my eye. It was two attractive young ladies on the train looking directly at me and waving to me wildly. They were definitely looking me straight in the eyes, so I decided that I should wave back. I nudged Abigail and suggested that she wave too. I mentioned this whole event to Megan and she explained "They like old white guys here." Suddenly her hand flew to her mouth..."I didn't mean it like that..." I thought that it was funny and  probably pretty darned accurate. I told her that it was okay, I understood what she meant, then I got to thinking about our visit to the Ueno Zoo. There was a grandfather there with his grandson, and he looked directly at me and waved also. I guess they do like old white guys in Japan!
We rode the train back to Fussa, and yes, I was still ready for another taxi ride! I was thoroughly wiped out. It had been an extremely hot, long day on my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment